Agenda at a Glance
Join the social conversation, use #iabccanwest19, follow us on Twitter @iabc_cwr or on Facebook.
Tracks: CS = Communication Skills; L&S = Leadership & Strategy; M&B = Marketing & Branding; R = Reputation; E = Engagement
8:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. Registration open
8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Workshop A: Linking Research to Results: Market Research Master Class (R), Greg Lyle, President, Innovative Research
Workshop B: Communicator as Coach: How a Coach Builds Stronger (L&S), Catherine Ducharme, Director, Smart Savvy Academy
Workshop C: Storytelling using Proprietary Data: The Lifeblood to Powering your PR and Content Marketing (M&B), Sarah Gooding, Communications & PR Manager, Unbounce
1:00 – 4:30 p.m.
Workshop D: DIY Internal Communications Audit (CS), Priya Bates, ABC, SCMP, MC, IABC Fellow, President, Inner Strength Communication Inc.
Workshop E: How to Get Leaders to Listen to Us (L&S), Angela Sinickas, ABC, CEO, Sinickas Communication Inc.
Workshop F: Hearing From Who Cares: Stakeholder Engagement & the Communicator’s Role (E), Dr. Rebecca Sutherns, CEO, Sage Solutions
6:00 – 8:00 p.m. – Opening Reception
8:00 – 9:00 a.m. Registration Opens & Networking Breakfast
9:00 – 10:00 a.m. Opening Keynote
‘Dull’ Data and the Power of Pipeline Activism
Think data is dull? Think again. Globalization, technology and demographics have long been key drivers of change. And now there’s a new one: Activism. Vivian Krause, a Vancouver researcher and writer, is known for following the funding of activist groups that campaign against resource-based industries. Her international experience and expertise in the charitable sector enables her to think outside the barrel to expose and explain the anti-pipeline activism that is paralyzing Alberta and threatening to tear Canada apart. Her research has changed the national conversation on activism and shown the power of data to get people’s attention.
Speaker: Vivian Krause, North Vancouver, BC
10:00 – 10:30 a.m. Networking Refreshment Break
10:30 – 11:45 a.m. Concurrent Breakout Sessions
- Believe in the Impact of Measurement on Reputation and Engagement: A Case Study (R)Speakers: Deb Tomlinson, Executive Director, Association of Alberta Sexual Assault Services (AASAS) and Joni Avram, Principal, Cause & Effect Marketing
- Expert Advice: Working with Subject Experts to Create a Data-driven Social Media Campaign (CS)
Speaker: Tracy Tang, Leader Digital Engagement, Vancouver Island Health Authority
- Five Attributes of an Inspiring Communications Leader (L&S)
Speaker: Catherine Ducharme, Director, Smart Savvy Academy
11:45 – 1:15 p.m. Lunch & Keynote – To Be Announced
1:15 – 2:30 p.m. Concurrent Breakout Sessions
- Applying Design Thinking for Marketing Communication (E)
Speaker: Jason Fiske, Manager, Content Marketing and Social Media, Farm Credit Canada
- Table Talk: Strategic Conversations to Keep Your Seat at the Table (L&S)
Speaker: Priya Bates, ABC, SMCP, MC, IABC Fellow, President, Inner Strength Communication Inc.
- Four Game-Changing Questions for Communications Planning (L&S)
Speaker: Dr. Rebecca Sutherns, CEO, Sage Solutions
2:30 – 3:00 p.m. Networking refreshment Break
3:00 – 4:15 p.m. Panel Discussion
4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Bonus Session – IABC Certification
6:00 – 8:30 p.m. Dine Around
8:30 – late! Late Night Entertainment – to be announced
8:00-8:45 a.m. Breakfast & Keynote
The Achiever Fever Cure
Best-selling author Claire Booth will share highlights from her book The Achiever Fever Cure: How I Learned to Stop Striving Myself Crazy. The presentation will candidly address the insecurity and self-doubt so many leaders feel but few discuss. Drawing from personal experience and her own survey research of the habits of high-achieving North American professionals, Booth will offer perspectives and tools to create a more joyful and purposeful life, one that is also good for business. This presentation will blend compelling anecdotes, data and practical strategies for confronting the inner critic and self-doubt. Booth’s presentation is a timely wake-up call for our high stress culture, inviting achievers to stop being so caught up in striving and instead lead with presence, authenticity, vulnerability and joy.
9:00 – 10:15 a.m. Concurrent Breakout Sessions
- Stakeholder Research and Digital Analytics: Building a Case for an Integrated Digital Content Strategy (L&S)
Speaker: Adam Brayford, SCMP, Director, Student Experience Communications, Simon Fraser University
- It’s Yammer Time! Transforming Culture Through Social Collaboration (CS)
Speaker: Shauna Lowry, ABC, Manager, Employee & Corporate Functions Communications, Suncor Energy
- Who Trusts? Who Doesn’t? And Why it Matters. The Edelman Trust Barometer 2019 (R)
Speaker: Megan Spoore, Deputy General Manager, Edelman Canada
10:15 – 10:45 a.m. Networking Refreshment Break
10:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Concurrent Breakout Sessions
- Utilizing Google Algorithms to Work for You (M&B)
Speaker: Sarah Van Dusen, Founder/CEO, Sarah Van Marketing
- HOT TOPIC: To be announced
- Using Research to Reach Multicultural Communities: A Case Study (L&S)
Speaker: Jackie Cox, Leader, Channel Management, City of Calgary
12:00 – 1:30 p.m. Master Communicator Presentation & Networking Lunch
1:30 – 2:45 p.m. Concurrent Breakout Sessions
- Video Strategy Masterclass: Strategy and Tactics That Deliver a 10:1 ROI (CS)
Speaker: Stephanie O’Brien, President & Founder, Carmella Consulting
- Employee Net Promoter Score – The Simple Engagement Tool Leaders Love (E)
Speaker: Lydia Tay, Manager, Employee Engagement & Development, Purdys Chocolatier
- HOT TOPIC: To Be Announced
2:45 – 3:00 p.m. Networking Refreshment Break
3:00 – 4:00 p.m. Closing Keynote